Saturday, January 15, 2011

In The Car.

She's been at it for almost half an hour now. Talking about the randomest, most insignificant things. 

It's not like this is anything new. When my brother isn't in the car, Mom's the only one making some noise. If nothing, she's playing songs, or commenting on 'what an idiot that person is in front of us, doesn't even know how to keep in the lane.'

Dad and I are sitting quietly, listening. I can't see my father's expression. He's a Pisces, I'm an Aquarius. We decided a long time ago that that was the reason for us being more silent compared to my talkative Taurus mother and brother.

She pauses to catch her breath. Suddenly, it's silent as a grave in the car.

"Oh, my God. How do you two manage to go on a road trip when I'm not around????" she exclaims in mock incredulity.

"We don't," says my father.

Now she's silent. She's always had this notion about me and Dad not liking unnecessary sounds or their sources. I don't. But, you know, she's an exception.

And now I realized she's an exception for Dad too.

He squeezed her hand and smiled warmly at her. I couldn't stop grinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment