Monday, November 29, 2010

Bored? Yes, I am. And dying to get my blog up and running.

Before I tackle what's on my mind, allow me to say this.
FLUS SUCK.


Especially when they take your entire freakin' household by storm and you're the one with the mildest version of it, and therefore you are too ill to go to school and see your friends after the weekend, but not too ill to look after everyone else.

Not that I mind doing it, I guess. But I really, really, really wanted to go to school today.
Ah, well.

Entirely out of boredom, I was stalking this random friend of mine on Facebook (who is a girl, just FYI). She and her twin were friends of mine in fourth grade, and then they went off to Saudi Arabia. We haven't talked in years, and it sucks, because I honestly really liked them. But I kinda stopped trying to keep in touch after one of them was rather mean to me once on chat.
And of course, I can understand it now, since we were both twelve or thirteen at the time, and girls--especially girls who have to shift from a city like Karachi to this hi-fi mod-Scott (to quote desi terms) place--go through a lot at the time. But I kinda feel awkward, because, I don't know, they give me this we're-not-like-you-anymore vibe.

Anyway. So I just found out they're in Canada these days, at the University of Toronto. And I was looking at a few of their pictures, and thinking, we're all growing up.

In the sense that we're all beginning to make our own lives, away from our family. And maybe I should start getting used to that, since there aren't many months left till my eighteenth birthday.

I was wondering what it would be like to study at a university abroad. Maybe it would be fun. All that shopping and hanging out and new ventures and blah blah blah.
But maybe it would suck, because I'd miss my mommy. Stupid baby that I am.

Or maybe I'd be so swamped with uni work and trying to pay off my student loans with random odd jobs that I wouldn't have time for any of that glamorous crap. (Yes, I just played Fergie's song in my head to make sure I was spelling the word correctly.)

Anyway. That last dreary picture was probably a good view of what's really gonna happen to me if I go abroad.
Or more rather, what I'm gonna do to myself if I go abroad to study. Because I simply refuse to inflict that much pressure on my parents. Financially, that is.

If I had my way over myself, I'd probably be studying journalism and music and history and languages at some old, renowned university, tucked away in a beautiful suburban place, anywhere in Europe. The campus would be an old castle, something along the lines of Hogwarts, only less creepier and more grand, every crack spilling out a little of its history. I'd live in a pretty off-campus dorm with five other interesting people, and sit on the windowsill and write. And I'd be acting and playing the piano and studying literary works and RJ-ing at the university's radio station, and, and, and.... I'd just be so blissful!!!!

Oh, if only the world were an ideal place...
Or rather, if only I were an idealistic fool who wasn't too chicken to try new things. -_-

I kinda got the above schema from reading this university's application guide, a book that I received when I attended this open house exhibition for universities abroad. Royal Holloway. It used to be all-female once.
Isn't that a grand name, though? Royal Holloway. I'd love to go someplace like that.

Shut up, Peace. Focus on reality.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment